White rice has a bad rap because much of the vitamins, minerals and fibers in rice are in the bran and germ, and these are removed in the milling and polishing processes to create white rice. Although in the USA, white rice is enriched by law so that some of the B vitamins, iron and folate levels are similar to or above that of the whole grain (brown rice). White rice is also often considered unhealthy because it is both high in carbohydrates and easily digestible which causes spikes in blood sugar, potentially concerning to diabetic individuals.
White Rice is Awesome
Despite those reasons, white rice makes a regular appearance on our kitchen table. It’s high in complex carbohydrates which we need for energy. The general rule of thumb is that half of our calories should be from complex carbohydrates. White rice is also a relatively fat-free, sodium-free and cholesterol-free source of protein.
The main reasons why white rice is a staple in this household is because it’s quick and easy to cook, it’s inexpensive, and it’s very versatile. It’s neutral taste and texture blends well with most foods and white rice can be made into virtually any part of the meal: soups, salads, mains, sides, or desserts. And it seems that no matter how it’s made, it’s a comfort food too.
It’s a comfort food in particular though when it’s hot and cheesy. This recipe is my go to cheesy rice recipe because it doesn’t require any butter or cream so it’s light, but still very tasty and fulfilling.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Recipe
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 3 cups white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 slice ginger
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 3 oz shredded cheese of choice or 4 slices of cheese
When serving rice as a side, the general rule of thumb is 1/3 to 1/2 cup of uncooked rice per person. When serving this cheesy broccoli rice as a side, that won’t be enough 😉
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Method
- Rinse rice (optional if it’s clean or you prefer a stickier rice dish)
- Heat oil and fry garlic and ginger and black pepper until fragrant, a few minutes
- Add rice to pan and cook until rice is toasted, approximately 5 minutes
4. Remove rice mixture from heat. Add chicken bouillon to rice mixture and mix well
5. Add broccoli, rice mixture, sugar and chicken broth to pressure cooker and set for 12 minutes (I have a rice setting on my pressure cooker so it’s dummy proof for me). If using stove top or microwave or rice cooker, chicken broth and cooking time will need to be adjusted to your methods
I use frozen broccoli florets (from Costco) and add them to the pressure cooker frozen and they are so soft that they practically disintegrate after 12 minutes. They are also so sweet that I omit the sugar in the recipe
6. After rice is cooked, mix in cheese while rice is still hot until cheese is melted
Can you believe there is a whole pound of broccoli in there? This can probably be called a sneaky recipe too.
7. Let rest 10 minutes and serve while it’s still warm or reheat if necessary. Enjoy!
Tonight we had cheesy broccoli rice and strawberry chicken, with extra cheese for my daughter. More cheesy please!